Thursday, March 18, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Behold our ancestral manse! Instead of "wash me" traced in the dust it should have "side me" because it's begging for it. All in good time.
Back of the house


Back yard looking north
Back yard looking west
Back yard looking south
End of our property line in the back (west) backs up to pasture land
South view from the carport. That overgrown mess is our 1/2 acre garden plot. I'll hopefully be planting about 1/4 of that plot this year but would love to do the full 1/2 acre next year.


View from the porch facing east. That ramp will be used for a chicken coop as soon as we get the piano in the house.
Master bedroom

Office
Kitchen. Doesn't it make you want to make some homemade bread and butter from scratch?
Laundry room
Jess has volunteered to help me remove this atrocious wallpaper border. Ya'll know my feelings about border!
Sold that freezer for $75. Woo-hoo!
Baby's room. Boy or girl we're going to go with this western nursery theme to match the rustic style of the house.
Hall/bathroom door. I forgot to take a picture of the bathroom which is just as well because there's more border for Jess to help me with in there!
Some of my favorite features....pickled wood kitchen floor


and a distressed tin ceiling in the living room
My favorite feature of the house is the location. We're just a few miles from Walmart, Lowes, Walgreens, Sonic, etc, yet have the benefit of property and a mini-homestead. You don't have to wait in line at Walmart and are greeted at the checkout with a " hi how are ya'll doin'?"

Little rant and rave here***
Unlike our previous community, I have yet to see anyone with a Starbucks cup griping loudly about how you just can't get good Thai food around here or how their community in D.C. is just so much more culturally diverse. No offense to my non-southern readers, but this is Alabama! You technically shouldn't be able to get Asian fusion or a chai latte at all so just be happy with what we have brought in to accommodate you or move somewhere that can better please your palate. Of course we shut down school for 1/2 inch of snow. Do you really want people who can barely drive in the rain to be out in that? Yes, you're probably going to be invited to church or see a scripture billboard on your way to work every day. This is the BIBLE BELT. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to convert. There are other places is the country to live so if you can't respect our culture feel free to relocate. You won't find me moving to New York City then complaining about the fast pace and rude people. I said all this to point out that now we feel like we are in the South again and are both very happy about it. Huntsville/Madison needs to pick up and move north of the Mason-Dixon. That is until I get a craving for P.F. Chang's or want a caramel macchiato. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.
***whew! I feel better. Thanks for listening.


My second favorite feature of this house is the price. Our property taxes are $126 per year (that's right per YEAR) for the house and an acre of property. If I told you what our mortgage + escrow payment is per month you'd hate me so I just won't mention it.

My third favorite feature of the house (so far) is the neighbors. We haven't seen hide nor hair of them! They must be working and minding their own business rather than playing an organ on the porch or calling the police on one another. Time will tell, but so far so good with the neighbors.

Ya'll come one over! You can even bring some sushi and decaf skinny mocha lattes as long as you serve it with kindness and don't razz me for lack of winter driving skills. ;)

6 comments:

Misty said...

Love your rant. You're hilarious!

Jennifer said...

Thanks. I felt cleansed afterward. :p

Amie said...

Congrats on your house! Hopefully we'll take you up on the invite some day!! I totally understand your rant...hehehe...I could say the same about some foreigners here...:)

Candy said...

WOWZ!!! I heart it! you can totally do so much w/ this one!

Lydia said...

What a cool place! I definitely love it. Maybe next summer I can come visit. :)

Charles Grimm said...

Well, having married a Korean American, I think we'll be staying a bit closer to ShinSeGae on Patton for our Korean supplies! haha But if you want some bulgogi, we'll see what we can do.
Oh, and stop eating at P.F.Chang's and start eating at Mei Wei unless you want a meandering Charles Grimm rant! haha
The house looks absolutely awesome, and I'm glad y'all have a place you both like and feel at home.