I loved the town of Progreso! It was so charming and "real" unlike most touristy commercialized Mexican ports of call.
We bought a bracelet from this guy who kept calling Dave "Mr. Flat-top" LOL All of the vendors spoke English until we wandered back into the marketplace where the locals shop. We got some serious stares. As a sociology major I loved every minute of it including all the fly covered meat but Dave could definitely have done without that little side excursion. I enjoyed using some Spanish and getting out some Spanish tracts and Bibles which were well-received.


We bought a bracelet from this guy who kept calling Dave "Mr. Flat-top" LOL All of the vendors spoke English until we wandered back into the marketplace where the locals shop. We got some serious stares. As a sociology major I loved every minute of it including all the fly covered meat but Dave could definitely have done without that little side excursion. I enjoyed using some Spanish and getting out some Spanish tracts and Bibles which were well-received.
The locals here are of Mayan descent and are smaller and shorter that most other Mexicans. Our guide's grandmother is a full-blooded Mayan and only speaks Mayan: no Spanish. The Spanish spoke in Progreso as well as the rest of Yucatan has a Mayan accent and is spoken very slowly! I couldn't believe I could actually make out individual Spanish words instead of just hearing a barrage of tongue-rolling syllables.
A park area with picnic tables
Less than an hour later we were at Dzibilchaltun!
The first order of business was "taking care of business." Check out the seatless toilet! I'm loving the pedal flusher though and wish we would do that in the States. More sanitary!
The main ruin! This is the oldest man-made structure I've ever seen and it was awe-inspiring. During the Solstices and Equinoxes, either the sun or the moon will line up perfectly in the windows or the central doorway depending on which solstice or equinox it is.
View out the back window
This is a totem-type structure that is located in way out in front of the main temple.
Dave enjoyed seeing old style Beetles that were only a couple years old and other cars that aren't manufactured here in the States.
Dzibilchaltun was the highlight of the trip for both of us!
No comments:
Post a Comment